Losing interest in this game

Home Forums General Discussion Losing interest in this game

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Viljainen
    Participant

I only half agree with you on this because if I was well entertained for those 2 months, I wouldn’t have written this because constant problems in a computer game is not entertaining to me..

I agree that the devs owe it to us customers to fix the bugs and make the very reasonable UI and gameplay adjustments (such as auto replacement of vehicles) that many people have requested here. But all in all I think it’s normal to lose interest in a game within couple of months.

As for the DLC I’d be ok with paying for things that add new content and mechanisms to the game. After all the developers deserve to be paid for their work as well. I just wish they would communicate with us a bit more about their plans for TF.

Partyschreck
    Participant

But all in all I think it’s normal to lose interest in a game within couple of months.

Do you know how long people play games like A-Train. OTTD and Simutrans ?

I have much experience with Simutrans and there every game is new and fun. No simulation of citizens means you have plenty of ressources and there especially the possibilities to configure the game and the whole economy leads to much long term fun.

But Train Fevers time is limited and I think many people play longer than the game deserves beause they want the game to make fun and try.  I did it too for too long. The game´s doomed and they have to make everything new.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Partyschreck.
    • This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Partyschreck.
    crossmr
    Participant

They need to make serious changes soon or it is going to fade away.
    There are too many outstanding serious frustrations to really keep a large player base engaged. That’s entirely their problem. If they could address some of the major game issues like:

1. Collisions with track/roads
    2. roads over rails (and their upgrades)
    3. industry diversification (let cities take other items)
    4. station upgrades
    5. dynamic track choice
    6. vehicle replacement management

They could turn this into a pretty significant long running game and series. There are a few more things beyond this, but I think if these things were fixed it would remove the majority of issues most people have with the game and it would be easier to recommend it, promote it, and get into it.

Personally I considered doing some modifications related to Korea, since I’m living here, but I can’t justify the investment with the current state of the game.

NLTops
    Participant

Personally I think people who want to stop playing a game should just stop playing the game. Not write some letter to the Devs. Either you are invested in the game, which means take the bad with the good, give your suggestions and let the Devs do their work. OR you’re bored/think this game lacks factor x/is too hard or not hard enough and you just go to your little steam account and look for something else.

Patience…a thing of the past. Games take time to build. And test. And balance.
    And ANY independent developer has to either outsource this to the audience or painstakingly do it themselves if their game requires a lot of “technical” testing.

Greedy Scoundrels!

Partyschreck
    Participant

Personally I think people who want to stop playing a game should just stop playing the game. Not write some letter to the Devs.

Why shouldn´t I write about what I think to be the great mistake of the game ?

I gave the advice to cancel simulation of citizens, that seems important to me.

I would have been lucky, if I could  have read such textes before buying the game. The only one, who has no interest in people writing are the developers and publishers, who want to sell their bad game.

crossmr
    Participant

Personally I think people who want to stop playing a game should just stop playing the game. Not write some letter to the Devs. Either you are invested in the game, which means take the bad with the good, give your suggestions and let the Devs do their work. OR you’re bored/think this game lacks factor x/is too hard or not hard enough and you just go to your little steam account and look for something else.

Patience…a thing of the past. Games take time to build. And test. And balance.
    And ANY independent developer has to either outsource this to the audience or painstakingly do it themselves if their game requires a lot of “technical” testing.

Greedy Scoundrels!

Games take time to build and test BEFORE they’re released not after. Greedy Scoundrels? Is this a dev sock account by any chance? This isn’t an early release game. This isn’t an open beta. This is a paid in full release. People are complaining because they didn’t receive the product they expected or was described prior to release.

NLTops
    Participant

@Partyschreck

My reply was directed at the OP. Whose complaint was about the 400 production limit. Saying he cheated the whole game and still didn’t have fun. In goods I’d say a bigger problem is that the demand is too low, than that the max production is not high enough.

It’s true that the larger the populations get, the more work it becomes to calculate all their destinations. However, this was the intended feature so that the mechanic of TTD where passengers just gather at a nearby station and don’t care where they are taken to. And yes, this mechanic makes for more restrictive gameplay. Personally I think determining destinations per building instead of per person would work well enough.

Regardless, I think you didn’t need to bring that up in this topic. Which is basically some player who doesn’t like the game (anymore?).

@crossmr

You do realize this game is being made by a team of 5 people?
    (http://www.train-fever.com/about/)

Where can I find one of these inaccurate descriptions of the game prior to release?
    There are enough Let’s Play… clips of TF to showcase gameplay. I personally use these as an indicator to see if I’d like the experience.

You’re also very paranoid. Just because I believe people shouldn’t dramatize on their own experience so much and just move on, I am a mole? Here to rescue the PR reputation of…oh right Urban Games and protect their interests? You should write a book!

But seriously. Check out the about page. This is a game by two brothers and their friend(s) by the looks of things, maybe just finished their study? Maybe even with this project? Aren’t you just being a little ridiculous, demanding the same performance from them as experienced studios who have the manpower, resources and planning ability required to make such estimations and deadlines?

I say either have realistic expectations, appreciate what there is and be patient. Or don’t, complain and whine and feel self-righteous. But it’s not going to change anything. If anything you’re making it worse because they have to pile through pages of bile rather than just improve what was the basic premise of their game. Yes, the game was released. Yes the balance and performance turned out worse than expected. This happens to a lot of games. More so now in the era of AGILE based projects. Major

For the record, I’m a software engineer, not a game developer. So I know the kind of things they have to do, and I sympathize. I’m glad my occupation isn’t so dependent on the individual experiences of my users, but on the effectiveness of functionality. I’d go crazy if users with no insight in technical matters could just drone in my ear like that.

Viljainen
    Participant

Yeah, we should cut some slack to the developers. I’m quite sure they haven’t gone through all the effort to make this game just to scam us out of our hard earned money. There are far easier ways to do it.

This kind of simulation games are rare nowadays and very few major studios like to release them (which might be for the better… or should I mention SimCity?). This is the first game released by Urban Games so it’s unreasonable to expect that they get everything right the first time. A larger game studio would have had much more resources for beta testing and fixing those small important details.

I also agree that there are lot of things that need improving in TF at the moment and it might have been more appropriate to release it as an early access game in Steam. Anyway, it would be nice to hear something from the developers themselves more regularly. Some information about what they are working with at the moment and when we can expect new patches etc.

NLTops
    Participant

Yeah, I have been lobbying for that too Viljainen. A road-map or a weekly post keeping everyone up to date is not too much to ask.

Tattoo
    Participant

@crossmr – Exactly

Here’s another thought. Do you see any American trains being made for this game? I know of 2 on the German site and one of them, a DD40X has bumpers like the trains over the pond have on them. Why? There’s not much need for them because the cargo aspect of this game is lacking badly. Americans love their trains, especially cargo trains, if the cargo aspect was better I think you would see more American stock being made. And I really hope they make it better because I’d really enjoy seeing some American trains running around in this game. I see many possibilities in this. This game could be awesome.

I would also like to see more track crossing options.

theuros
    Participant

This game should be an early access, but anyway I enjoy it. There are a lot of flaws and I hope that Dev-s will soon release some patch.

crossmr
    Participant

Where can I find one of these inaccurate descriptions of the game prior to release?

http://www.train-fever.com/2013/12/railroad-tracks-in-detail/

There are block and path signals. The right image shows three modern path signals and one block signal. As soon as a train crosses a block signal, all tracks behind the signal are blocked for other trains. Path signals work similar but block only the tracks behind the signal which are actually used by the train. This allows for realistic switch configurations e.g. in front of train stations.

FX2K
    Participant

Personally, I am losing interest due to the performance issues late game…
    Since the time in game is too fast, relative to the animation speed, it gets there pretty quick too.

I can deal with the collisions, lack of track crossing options (desperately need waypoint’s though) and the other shortcomings… but if the performance doesn’t improve, it makes it pointless…

End game should not be the point it hits 5fps, sadly, for me at least.. it is.. every single game I start ends around 2000, regardless of my progress.

fcsaba
    Participant

Bugs, lack of content, slow performance, boring gameplay, limited options… that’s Train Fever right now.

I have already stopped playing it and returned to OpenTTD. I feel that this game needs at least a year of development… The devs definitely should not have released it so soon, maybe sticking to “early access” for another year would have been a better solution.

NLTops
    Participant

@crossmr There are path signals. Block signals are essentially useless when you have path signals.

I’d rather see pre-signals than block signals.

If you look at openTTD early in it’s lifetime, it was just a recreation of TTD that would run properly on modern OS. It’s still adding features, and has done so for 10 years now.

People are just too impatient. All they want is instant gratification. “Anything I want and can afford, I can have in a week, at most two weeks, time.” might work for anything mass produced, it doesn’t work for anything that takes a longer time to complete. For example, fixing the performance issues inherent to late (highly developed) games. And adding the new features everyone’s complaining about because “openTTD has it”, is probably going to be improbable whilst these issues are not fixed.

Because from an engineer’s point of view “Making it work” is more important than “Making it do more”.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 174 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.