Losing interest in this game

Home Forums General Discussion Losing interest in this game

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 174 total)
  • Author
    Partyschreck
    Participant

The game economy is just not suited for trains, in a game called Train Fever.

I believe that the whole game economy (and citizens management) should be reconsidered and rebalanced to keep the players interested.

Yes, that´s it and I want to add my full agreement to your posting.

Cancel citizen´s simulation, build ressources for more goods, passengers and a bigger map.

FX2K
    Participant

Cancel citizen´s simulation,

I don’t agree with removing the citizen’s simulation, but I don’t think we need 10,000 of them doing their thing all at once, surely something in this area could go a long way to performance improvements…

How much attention is paid to these 10,000 civs?  Don’t get me wrong, I like the fact that the world is alive, it would be dull with no civs wandering… but essentially they are nothing more than a number..  1 more passenger for the train, or 1 more car for that long 5 year traffic jam to work..

Take 50% of them away and double the bus/train ticket prices and I doubt I would notice the difference, maybe even enjoy it more due to less traffic build-up and no doubt increased performance.  Of course, I don’t know what effect it would really have but… nm

Partyschreck
    Participant

You have to justify trains by the need of capacity.

Doubling the number of passengers isn´t enough.

You need a lot more and you can have civs wandering without simualting them exactly.

uzurpator
    Participant

10k people is peanuts. Modern computer should be able to manage several hundread thousands of those.

2006 game – Supreme Commander, could manage approx 3000 units, handle strategic zoom, do ballistic physics and network communication for 8 people. And was pretttier, and ran smoothly on GTX 8800 and Intel Q6600. On 80x80km maps.

2003 game – Railroad Tycoon 3 – could handle 40+ cellular automata handling cargo distribution, track several thousand units of cargo, animate over 600 vehicles and handle over 100 of industries. On an Athlon 1700+ with GeForce MX440.

TF is just suboptimally written.

Anyhow – I find it ironic, that for years in TTD we complained that passangers do not have sensible behavior. In TF they do, and it is quite awesome. But at the same time TTD had very simple, but effective freight model, while TF has something very, very subpar 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by uzurpator.
    Kiwi-NZ
    Participant

If you want to have a better Cargo-part in this game use Mods as example Cargo_Mod or Kaleus_Industries as modified version from the Cargo_Mod. Advanced Industries is on its way and it will be mind blowing.

As I said a few posts before, Train Fever is a “basic game” with an excellent Mod-Support.

Tattoo
    Participant

If you want to have a better Cargo-part in this game use Mods as example Cargo_Mod or Kaleus_Industries as modified version from the Cargo_Mod. Advanced Industries is on its way and it will be mind blowing.

I want to try this to get more trains going. The only thing holding me back is that there is still only one Goods. This mod might be good tho, I don’t know yet but will try it eventually.

As I said a few posts before, Train Fever is a “basic game” with an excellent Mod-Support.

I’m starting to understand this myself now but for passengers, it’s pretty good except in the later years when the traffic jams screw everything up. If you like creating a passenger rail network, I think the game is good for that minus the performance problems. I like running cargo trains tho so the game isn’t as exciting for me. I do setup passenger trains and buses but not as much as some.

I just tried something to stop the traffics jams. Someone posted a mod that slows the speed of the cars down to 50mph so the people would use more buses and trains. I’ve heard that it worked and I changed my cars to 20mph and tried it. After updating the roads to get rid of the clutter, there were still a lot of cars coming out. So I changed them all again down to 2mph. And now it’s nice. No more cars screwing everything up. My buses are running again and my trains have more passengers again. And only a few cars driving around here and there. You might can go to 5 and see if you like a few more cars coming out. I’ll keep mine at 2.

If you want to stop the traffic jams, either download this mod;
    http://www.train-fever.com/forums/topic/mod-traffic-decongestion/

Or if you know how, change them yourself to 2mph and try it yourself.
    Open the .mdl files for the cars and search for ‘topSpeed =‘ and change all of them to 2.
    There are only 5 cars to change.

The path for the car.mdl is here – SteamApps\common\Train Fever\res\models\model\vehicle\car
    Open them with a text editor. I think you’ll like how this works.

Kiwi-NZ
    Participant

@Cargo_Mod

Use the modified version from Kaleu_Industries, there you will have a “Furniture Factory”, “Households” and a “Tool-factory”.
    Each chain requires 3 steps and 5 different industries to have goods what you can finally deliver to the city’s.

@Cheat-Mode-Mods
    I am playing without this helpers and it is possible, otherwise my Advanced Tutorial would be wrong what I have written.

I know that the current Part 1 Version 1.0  is still in German, however Version 1.1 and also Part 2 is on the  way and the English translation is nearly done.

Partyschreck
    Participant

For me modding won´t make the game playable, because I don´t like two things about this game.

The missing balance is one. I read in the german train fever forum and smiled, when they began to work the cost mod, because I knew, this won´t work and wrote an article in the german simutrans forum why this can´t be the whole solution, if you don´t like a sandbox game.

The second thing is the missing need to build networks in this game. Maybe the cargo mod will make the game a little bit better, but that´s not enough. The passenger part of the game is completely broken. There are too few of them, the world is too small and there is not enough need to connect everything, because you can train citizens to go where you want them to go. They won´t go to many places beacsuse of the 20 minute rule, that´s another point.

Handling trains, lines and traffic is boring, except the chaos in towns. But I want to build tracks and think about, where I have to let my trains and other vehicles go. The town game mechanic, where I have to demolish houses all the time is awful compared to that.

I play Simutrans and Train Fever is trash compared to that. No mod will save the game, until they change the direction of the game, I´m convinced.

Modders will be the only people, who play this game, soon, I see no reason to do that.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 6 months ago by Partyschreck.
    Tattoo
    Participant

@ Tattoo

If there was a manual should you use it? I do always skip the tutorial aka manual. If you need to know anything there’s google and fora. Let them focus on more important things and please stop whining about that they didn’t keep their word because there isn’t a fucking manual. The fanboys here are frustrating indeed, the same for haters.

@Admiral
    hehehe, I just seen this. So I’m a hater now huh? Too funny. Yes, I’d use the manual to find out what else I don’t know about the game. I could care less if you don’t use them. you want a Bozo button there pal? I shouldn’t have to search Google or fora to find out how to play the game I just bought and/or wait 2 weeks to find out there is an easier way to make a bridge using the M and N keys. The game should have came with a fucking manual!!!

Person012345
    Participant

10k people is peanuts. Modern computer should be able to manage several hundread thousands of those.

Or, if Colossal Order succeed where maxis failed, 1 million+

Partyschreck
    Participant

Maxis and Sim City are a good example.

When Train Fever was new, I read the question, why a small company was able to implement this feature, if others failed.

But the answer is simply that they failed, too.

We will see, if they accept this fact.

uzurpator
    Participant

But they did implement it. And it works fine. It is just not always applicable.

Partyschreck
    Participant

And it works fine. It is just not always applicable.

This statement makes no sense at all.This is a game with economic features. There is no room for “not always applicable”.

You can only play Train Fever for watching trains and passengers. Or you igonre all the rules of efficient play, that the game sets, play badly and be happy, that yor´re making money.

That´s not my definition of “it works fine”.And there are better games allready.

uzurpator
    Participant

This statement makes no sense at all.This is a game with economic features. There is no room for “not always applicable”.

You can only play Train Fever for watching trains and passengers. Or you igonre all the rules of efficient play, that the game sets, play badly and be happy, that yor´re making money.

That´s not my definition of “it works fine”.And there are better games allready.

Ok. Let me elaborate.

The ‘Agent’ model, where each unit of cargo decides where it wants to go, is fine for cargoes such as passangers or mail. This part of the game works quite fine. There are balance issues, but the model is fine.

Granted, this could be modeled with statistical weighing model, which would be faster. Or with a hybrid model. But I digress. I am fine with agents.

But for bulk cargoes, such as coal or oil, such model is invalid. TF tries its best to emulate bulk freight with agents, but it cannot be done reliably. Which leads to half empty freight trains or other weirdness. That is where the model is not applicable. TTD did better job there. Better yet, Railroad Tycoon did a splendid job with this.

BTW – TF also fails because it tries to perfectly encapsulate cargo flows – that is amount of cargo produced has to equal amount of cargo consumed, which breeds its own problems.

Partyschreck
    Participant

Granted, this could be modeled with statistical weighing model, which would be faster. Or with a hybrid model.

That´s all I wrote about.

You have to make capacity of vehicles a factor in a transportation game. At the moment, nearly every vehicle´s too big.You need more of everything, passengers, cargo, space – and game ressources to do that.

That seems important to balance the game and traffic will be a satisfying aspect of the game

I won´t argue against your comment about cargo as my critic is more universal.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 174 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.